Quirky Quail Etsy Shop

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rockin...

I got this sweet little rocking chair on Freecycle. When I got it, it was in about ten different pieces. I was able to put it back together and replace the two missing spindles with dowels I already owned. If you look closely you can see that the two dowels I replaced are a bit smaller than the originals, but I am in to using what I have, luckily they aren't that much off. Unfortunately I have no picture of the rocker before I glued her back together, that was preblog. Here is what she looked like after she was put back together. I am not sure how old this is, but sure it is at least 30-40 years old. If anyone knows please let me know, you just don't see little rockers like this any more.
Everywhere there looks like there is a split, that is where it was apart. The lady who gave it to me was going to throw it away, but I told her I thought I could put it back together.

I painted her with DIY Chalkpaint in an off white, then lightly distressed her and rubbed her with Minwax brand clear pastewax. 
I made a pad with drop cloth fabric and used a cute transfer from Graphics Fairy using the Citrisolve method. She is so lovely now, you would never believe she started out as a pile of almost junk.
Now she is quite BEE utiful.











15 comments:

  1. That is a miracle! That chair is fantastic. What is the citrisolve method! I love the chair pad you made. This is such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Freecycle!!! Of course, I've never gotten a rocking chair so I'm a bit jealous!!! This turned out PERFECT and that cushion is DARLING!!! Thanks so much for visiting!!! I'm now your newest follower and would love to havi you follow me on your next visit!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. I don't know about Freecycle. We must not have it in Savannah. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the rocker, I don't think I would have had the patience to piece it all back together!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I am your newest follower -- your blog is lovely. Come by anytime and, if you'd like, follow along as well.

    See you soon!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your rocker is wonderful. Peeked at your blog...love the chalkboard table...your Grands will really enjoy! New follower.
    Audrey at eleganteconomies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow she was very lucky that you found her! Now she looks more beautiful then I'd bet she ever has! I'm thinking 1940's or 50's for age? I really love the bee cushion you made for her!.....Oh and it looks to me like you're doing just fine with or without craigslist *winks* Vanna/your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the pics, it looks like a Victorian era nursing rocker. How nice that you gave her a new life! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  9. She certainly is bee-utiful! Great job!

    Sharon @ mrshinesclass

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was just such a charming redo. Thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is indeed BEE-utiful!! Wow -- great job putting her together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you rescued her. She looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great transformation!! Thank you for following my blog & now I am following yours!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Vikki, I have had such fun looking at your wonderful projects. This chair turned out amaZZZZing. I especially love the patina you achieved on the "shaving" mirror piece. Way to go for taking chances, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete