Quirky Quail Etsy Shop

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Child Sized Dresser Redo, Part 2



Thanks for stopping back to see how I finished off my small dresser. If you want to see Part 1 you can check it out here. It turned out pretty cute if I may say so myself. Hard to believe it is the same dresser.
Since she was so old I painted most of the surface inside and out to help preserve the wood.
Using the drawer pulls as inspiration I masked off the outside of the drawers and painted them off white. I then painted them in a pink and turquoise plaid with gold dots at the intersections. I didn't do it too perfectly so it would look a bit old. Sorry for the blurry picture.
I found some old glass knobs in my stash since all the ones it came with were broken and unusable. I found two that worked well with the small drawers. I at first tried some painted ones, but the vintage glass ones just set it off better.

Check out the cool texture on the sides as well. Taking a page from MMS book I left some of the old paint on and just painted over it. Love the way it looks.
 I painted the drawers inside as well, I like the finished look.
What do you do with old books that are falling apart? Use them to line drawers with of course and use the never failing Modge Podge to finish it off. I like a bit more random look so tore some of the pages to give it a bit more movement.
I sanded the edges to give it an older look as well and then went over the whole with some cherry stain.  Waxed the whole with MinWax and buffed it out. Got to use what I already have!
Here is Zeus checking out the finished dresser. He thinks it is pretty nice too.
So just to refresh your memory, here is the before and now...
tah dah it is finally done. I am listing her on Craig's List to see if anyone might wish to give her a home. If not I won't be disappointed, I will keep her for my craft room. And in case you are wondering, this is the picture that is closest to the true color. Thanks stopping by.

I was featured at Better After

I am sharing at these great parties:


Lavender Garden Cottage
Miss Mustard Seed Furnature Friday

17 comments:

  1. Beautful,congrats!
    Emőke

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so adorable! I love this. Very creative and very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an amazing transformation! I don't know if I would have committed to that in the beginning- you did great! Love the turquoise and the book pages lining the drawers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I bought her in a moment of craziness and then since I had spent actual money on her I felt committed to finish. I think if she had just been gifted to me the outcome would have been different.

      Delete
  4. What a cute makeover you gave her...love her hardware.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you painted the plaid detail yourself. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute dresser redo! Great job! Hopped over from DIY Project Parade and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit. Blessings ~ Judy @ www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy for following me. Love your blog.

      Delete
  7. Wow, so creative! Looks like a fun piece to have in a craft room for sure! Too bad you don't have trash out on the street. We are fortunate in that way around here. Lots and lots of stuff. Most of it is true trash you wouldn't want, but plenty worth snagging. Thanks for stopping in at Quirky Vistas.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, fun trash on the streets would be so fun. I am so jealous of all the stuff I see on blogs that people have snatched from the jaws of the trash man. Was in Boston visiting and saw so much cool stuff, unfortunately was flying home so couldn't fit any of it in my suitcase.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! It turned out so fun and whimsical! Thanks for the share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh it is gorgeous. I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vikki, this is absolutely adorable. Love the quirky plaid, the colors, the pulls....I just love it all! And thanks so much for signing up for the give-away. Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be a great inspiration piece for a nursery or little girls room. I love that hardware. But then, I bet I'd be tempted to give it a home in my craft room too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For example, if you sell paintings a link from
    an art school or a gallery would be important.
    over I will link to it if that site is related and has.
    You can create a website, submit the site to an advertising network
    and only pay the network when a book actually sells.


    my homepage ... www.vilen.dk

    ReplyDelete